A health coach?
For Graves’ disease?
Why would you want to work with a health coach if you have a serious condition such as Graves’ disease? Don’t you need to see a doctor?
And you’re absolutely right!
You should see a doctor. First and foremost.
Because doctors play an essential role in keeping you safe.
I can’t stress this enough. Graves’ disease can involve some serious symptoms like a racing heart beat and even thyroid storm (life threatening condition involving dangerously high levels of heart rate, temperature and blood pressure).
And you may need to be treated to avoid these risky symptoms. For which you need a doctor.
Having said that, there are limitations as to what a doctor has to offer you.
A doctor’s in the business of diagnosing and treating specific diseases or managing symptoms. And when it comes to chronic illness, helping you manage your disease.
Getting you to feel like your fantastic self again is not in their job description.
Yet, if feeling like your old self is what you’re after, consider adding a functional health coach to your healthcare team.
So what’s a functional health coach?
A functional health coach is a person who can teach you how you can recover your health. And maintain it.
The word “functional” refers to the idea of finding out what’s going on underneath the surface. What’s the real problem that’s causing your symptoms or disease?
People have all sorts of symptoms. But even though these symptoms can be annoying or make your life even a living hell, they’re actually not the problem. Symptoms are the result of the problem. The result of something that’s off underneath the surface. The underlying reason or root cause.
Functional health coaches are trained in finding these root causes. And then addressing them through diet and other lifestyle changes. So that you’ll experience lasting change.
And how can a functional health coach help you?
There are many reasons for working with a functional health coach. Including these.
A functional health coach:
- Helps you move towards your health goals. She or he doesn’t only care about whether your thyroid lab tests are normal. Because you may also know that normal lab tests don’t necessarily mean that you don’t experience symptoms. A functional health coach will help you reach your specific health goals. How do you want to feel?
- Works with you in a personalized way. She or he knows that you are an individual with unique needs and circumstances. Therefore, you’ll receive a personalized plan of action. One that will work for you, that’s personalized to help support and heal your body. And that will include addressing your specific underlying reasons why you have Graves’ disease. You’ll far more likely accomplish your goals if you work with a personalized plan.
- Reduces trial and error in your health journey. You may feel that diet and lifestyle can make a big difference as to how you feel. Yet, you have no idea where or how to start. A functional health coach can guide you in making the right diet and lifestyle changes. This keeps you motivated as you’ll see results.
- Provides you with all the support you need. She or he will be on your side and support you every step of the way. Will check in with you regularly and hold you accountable for progress. They know that changing your habits and daily routines is not an easy job to do all on your own. And that a health journey is rarely a straight line from situation A (feeling miserable) to situation B (feeling fantastic). Your health coach will guide you through these low points. Help you stay on track, adjust where necessary and keep your health goals in sight.
- Helps you understand what’s going on in your body. This part is often overlooked. Yet, understanding why your body isn’t functioning the way it was designed to function plays a big role in motivation. For instance, once you appreciate the negative effects of sugar on your body, it’s easier to stay away from it. Understanding helps you work with your body and support it where needed instead of sabotaging its efforts. This strongly increases chances of profound and long-lasting results.
Now I have a question for you:
What are your health goals? How would you like to feel?
I would love to support you and help you reach your goals.
So don’t hesitate to schedule here a FREE 30-minute Discovery Session with me.
And we’ll explore your health goals together.
Looking forward to talking to you!